Monday, July 23, 2012

America: 1, Julie: 0

The other day I had this weird flashback about a day in first grade that I honestly hadn't thought of until now. Perhaps it has to do with the non-stop buzz about politics and upcoming elections.

I was in first grade at my Elementary School in the northern suburbs of my hometown, Ham Lake, Minnesota. Population in the early 90's, a little under 10,000 and I was part of the 3% non-whites. It's not incredibly relevant but you can get a picture of what it was like. And yes, the lake is shaped like a ham, thus the brilliant name. (Although until I was about 10 until seeing a map, I thought the lake was shaped like a circle or square because I was mainly familiar with sandwich meat-type ham.)

I had a great teacher and classmates and friends, but one day we were also discussing presidents and what was required to be the President of the United States.


Nothing is worse than the feeling of being a 6 year old adopted Korean only spending 18 months of your life as an infant in Korea, moving to live the rest of your life in America, and being told you couldn't do something like that.

Seriousness aside, I'm really over it.

Really.


No comments:

Post a Comment